Wednesday, September 22, 2010

being authentic.

"if you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. is that good news?" dr. robert anthony

my take on authenticity...

authenticity is was on of those words that can mean a lot of different things to different people.for me authenticity is taking full ownership of everything you embody. everything you possess within. everything that is rightfully yours and owning it. loving and accepting every flaw you have and playing it off as if its the best thing since hair gel.{ side bar: i mean if you don't like it who will?}

authenticity is acceptance. possesing the capability to accept the person who God created us to be.  we all hold different characteristics of ourselves.  we embody different mores and values, cultures and personalities. we were all raised differently. some in strict environments where our parents fobade us from leaving the house after the sun went down or we group up in strict religious environments like myself where we were excluded from participating in certain activities becasue we had to uphold a certain image. whatever the environment was that we were brought up in, no one background was better than the other, however, each played a significant role in molding us and shaping us into the person we authentically are.

what makes me authentic?

this question still stumps me at times. however, i believe that i can be authentically me in various settings. when i'm with my best girlfriend, i am authentically me because i can reveal to her every little thing about me and not feel afraid or nervous that my "secret" of me being me will get out. i am comfortable enough with her to reveal my fears, my doubts as well as my desires and my goals. i can simply be me with her.

sometimes i feel like i'm most authentic when i'm alone. i enjoy the company of myself and can truly be myself when no one else is around. not to sound as if i don't love to be around people, because that certainly isn't the case; i just know in order to be my authentic, quirky, creative self i really need to be alone. in this space i can be myself without fear or worry that i will be judged. i can dance wildly to my favorite band or sing out loud. i am able to create in my own space without the distractions of someone else around.

i believe that as i'm getting older and growing and learning more everyday, i'm beginning to accept who i authentically am. i'm becoming more confident and secure in who i really am.  

what about you? what does authenticity mean to you? what makes you most authentic?

No comments:

Post a Comment